In this article we will show you what you can do, for example, in case of connection problems to your KNX-IP interface due to timeouts.
Top reasons for connection timeouts if only local (WIFI) access configured:
- Configured only for WIFI access but the mobile devices is not connected to WIFI.
- Turn on WIFI on your mobile device and connect to the right WIFI
- Make sure that you are in the range of the WIFI and have a good reception.
- Mobile device is connected to a different WIFI (in case multiple WIFIs are existing)
- Double check if it’s connected with the right WIFI which serves connection to the KNX IP interface/router.
- Wrong local IP address is used for the KNX IP connection of the ayControl profile.
- First check which IP has been statically assigned to the KNX IP interface/router. Ask your KNX installer or use a network scanner like „Fing“ or “Angry IP scanner” to find out the correct IP address.
- Make sure that the KNX IP device has been bound to a static IP. Otherwise the installation will not be stable e.g. after a power loss. How? This usually has to be done by the installer in the ETS program.
Alternatively a static IP can be reserved and bound to to the so called MAC-address of the KNX IP device.
This can be done in the local DHCP server (e.g. in your WIFI router). Look into manual or search for internet howto’s.
- Connection from WIFI to the KNX IP interface/router is disconnected or KNX IP device has no power
- Check cables and check if the LEDs of the LAN ports of the KNX IP device show activity.
- Check if the KNX IP device is correctly powered.
- If a WIFI system with multiple APs (access points)
- Make sure that the client maintains the same IP after the handoff from one AP to another.
- Make sure that clients have connection to the KNX IP device from all relevant APs.
- As KNX connections are using heartbeats: Make sure that the handoff is as fast as possible (below 1 second).
Top reasons for connection timeouts if using only port forwarding connection:
- Mobile phone is connected via 3G/4G or wifi and never connects using the configured port forwarding connection.
- Is the port forwarding connection configured right? Please check the manual of your internet-router how to correctly set up a port forwarding connection to your KNX-IP-Interface.
- If the port forwarding is set up right, could it be that DynDNS (DDNS) isn’t configured properly?
- Mobile phone is connected via 3G/4G and sometimes a connection problem occurs.
- Please check the signal reception at that time. If the signal is too weak a connection to the KNX-IP-Interface might not work.
- Mobile phone is connected via 3G/4G and can’t connect to the KNX-IP-Interface but if the phone is connected to a (remote) wifi network (for example at a friend’s place) the remote connection works.
- In this case please talk to your mobile phone service provider. In some rare cases it could be that your mobil phone service provider blocks some network packets which prevent a successful remote connection.
The post Troubleshooting – Connection Problems with the KNX-IP-Interface appeared first on ayControl KNX.